This traditional stuffing is great with turkey or chicken. It will make enough for a 16 to 20 lb (7 to 9 kg) bird or an 8 cup (2L) casserole dish.
butter or margarine
2 medium onions, finely chopped
3-4 celery stalks, finely chopped
9 cups (2.25 L) day-old coarse bread crumbs, or 1/2 inch (1 cm) cubes
2 tsp (10 mL) each dried sage and savoury
1 tsp (5 mL) seasoned salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
1/2 – 1 cup (125-250 mL) chicken broth or giblet stock
Melt butter in large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and celery, stirring until tender, about 5 minutes. Pour mixture over bread in a large bowl. Add seasonings, stir well until combined. Gradually stir in broth until just moistened but not wet.
- Apple: Add 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) of chopped apple to bread mixture.
- Sausage: Brown 1 lb (500 g) Ontario sausage meat. Drain and add to bread mixture.
- Mushroom: Sauté 1 lb (500 g) sliced mushrooms in 2 tsp (10 mL) of butter and add to bread mixture.
- Oyster: Add 1 cup (250 mL) whole or chopped cooked oysters to bread mixture.
- Oyster broth may be substituted for all or part of the chicken broth.
- Nut: Add 1 to 2 cups (250 to 500 mL) chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts to bread mixture.